NLP stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming, a name that encompasses the three most influential components involved in producing human experience:
- neurology = regulates how our bodies function
- language = determines how we interface and communicate with other people
- programming = determines the kinds of models of the world we create
NLP is the study of excellent communication–both with yourself and with others. It was developed by modeling excellent communicators and therapists who got results with their clients. NLP is a set of tools and techniques, but it is so much more than that. It is an attitude and a methodology of knowing how to achieve your goals and get results.
NLP is really the study of subjective experience. It focuses on how we, as humans, take in information through our senses, how we process and give meaning to that information, and how we behave/respond based on the meaning we have given it. We all take in and process information the same way, but we each give different meanings to it. In other words, learning NLP is like learning the language of your own mind!
NLP is used in client sessions for:
- eliminating low self-esteem or other emotional issues that inhibit the client from focusing on changing
- determining the languages of love particular to the client and her husband
- goal setting and determining the direction of action to take with improving the client’s marriage
- helping the client refocus on her goals